Wednesday, July 30, 2008

...SoCal Scardicat...

Most, if not all, of you know that the Orange County area was rocked by a moderate earthquake on Tuesday morning.  So, being relatively new (almost four years) to SoCal, I thought I'd give a play-by-play of the event, as I experienced it.

I was in a staff meeting with the Summer Conference Staff in a second floor conference room in the Student Center building here on the campus of HIU.  As we were beginning to wrap up, what felt and sounded like somebody dropped a truck onto the roof of the building shook the entire building.  It was like a pop, similar to what you'd think a car bomb going off outside the building might feel and sound like, with a concussive feeling.  Immediately after this most of us around the table either froze or sort of half stood up.  I looked out the window to see the trees violently shaking, unlike from a wind.  At that point, I knew it was an earthquake, but before I could even process the thought it felt like the entire building slid about a foot to the left and then swooshed back to the right.  Right then I yelled for everyone in the room to get under the conference table and I didn't have to say it twice.  As I dropped to the ground and squeezed under the table, I seriously thought the building was going to collapse, based on the violence of the shifting of the building.  I imagine there are some people that, when a situation arises they believe is a possible catastrophe, immediately fear death or think they may die.  But, as I seriously thought the building would collapse, I never once thought I would die.  Rather, my mind did a shift to a place of survival at all costs; duck, grab, run, push... whatever was coming my way, I felt hyper-aware of.  It was a bit of a strange feeling, emotionally, yet also gives me a sense of confidence.  I think some people freeze.  I felt the opposite of frozen.  I felt... totally engaged.  The rumbling continued for about another 20 seconds or so, gradually tailing off.  While I was under the table I realized the building was not going to collapse and began to pray (out loud) that God would protect Stephanie and Madeline.  My fear was for them being in 42 year old dorms that are falling apart, regardless of earthquakes.  As soon as the shaking seemed to stop I told everyone to stay put and I opened the conference room door to see what the Student Affairs lobby was like.  Many people were coming out of offices making their way to the lobby, toward the doors to exit the building.  I heard good friend and co-worker, Chris Williams, holler from down the hallway for everyone to evacuate the building, in case there was any structural damage.  I turned and told everyone in the conference room to get out and make their way to the parking lot.  At that time, I ran as fast as I could down the stairs, out the front door, and to the dorm where my wife and baby were.  As I barged through the door hollering my wife's name, I heard her shakey voice saying that they were alright coming from the back yard.  I followed the voice and hugged my wife and baby girl for a good long time.  Steph was pretty shaken up, no pun intended.  But she did great in getting to Madeline and getting them both to safety.  She was scared for the dogs too.  She doesn't remember exactly what they did, except that they "freaked out."  Madeline, on the other hand, never even woke up!  

Ok, I know this must sound a bit over dramatized for a "moderate" quake.  But, I'm telling you, I have no problem telling you that it scared the CRAP out of me!!!  I really don't want to experience that, or worse, ever again.  The one thing you always feel you can count on, the ground under your feet, is no longer safe.  Tornados and Hurricanes you know are coming... earthquakes?   Uh, no.  I told Steph last night that she needs to begin looking into other places in the country she wants to live, because I REALLY don't want to experience "the big one." (I was partially kidding)  Someone told me this afternoon that there is a 99% chance that "the big one" will hit SoCal in the next 30 years.  Yikes!!!!

1 comment:

Diane Davis said...

Is the new Hope building on rollers? I thought new building are because of earthquakes, but it does make it feel more intense!

BTW... I've enjoyed reading your blog. I put you on my list so I can check in more often.

I don't think you've answered my facebook question yet... are you in for playing on one of our fantasy leagues?

I love how you call her Mad. So cute.