Saturday, July 26, 2008

... thankful father

So, last night was a bit frustrating.  We put Madeline down at about 10:00 pm and she wasn't having any of it.  She cried until about 11:00 as we held her, fed her some more (in case she hadn't gotten full on the first feeding) rocked her, swaddled her, unswaddled her and generally did everything we, as new parents, know to do to calm her down and get her to sleep.  Then, I took her to her bedroom and was walking and swaying her (while she continued to cry) when I impulsively pressed play on her little stereo/CD player.  One of Tommy Walker's CD's was in there and the song "I Have a Hope" was playing.  Since she was crying good the song was fairly loud in order to hear the music over her.  Within 2 seconds she was completely quiet silent, eyes closed and seemingly asleep.  I was astonished.  We stayed in there and listened to the entire song.  When it was over I foolishly thought she was really asleep and took her to her cradle and laid her down.  Well, she wasn't asleep deeply and within minutes was whaling again.  It was fun while it lasted.  

I quickly grabbed the computer, bringing it into the bedroom and, as fast as I could, opened iTunes, found Tommy Walker and hit play.  It didn't have quite the same response, but when I picked her up, began swaying and sang along with Tommy and the rest of the worship team (including her auntie Becca), she quieted right down again.  As I held her swaying, listening to the songs and singing along, I began to really worship the Lord.  During the song "To God Be the Glory" I began to do exactly what the song says, giving God the glory for this little bundle of beauty, joy and blessing.  Tears began to flow and I couldn't continue to sing.  But my heart was singing loud and clear as I was as thankful for God's provision and blessing as ever.  May He receive all the Glory of Madeline's life and our happiness with her.   *

No comments: