Saturday, June 28, 2008

...thirsty socialite

I was hanging out with a good friend yesterday and a point that is circulating in popularity and profile hit me a bit harder.  Our society has convinced itself that virtual communities are satisfactory and fulfilling.  Cell phones, Facebook, MySpace, email, etc.  I have about 200 friends on Facebook.  The speaker at the LTT on Thursday night claimed to have over 2500 friends on Facebook (he has had to open two accounts because Facebook only allows 1500 friends per account).  I can guarantee that neither he nor I have that many friends... real friends.  This is not a new revelation... I know.  But it really hit yesterday as my friend (real friend) and I talked the entire way to, and back from, where we were going.  I've noticed I have had the same feeling when just sitting and chatting with my wife.  

I'm thirsty for real community and relationships.  I get this with my wife, of course, and then there are a few friends and church (which is extremely relational and an awesome community), but I read what my Facebook friends are doing in their lives and it actually makes me feel like I know them even less than I really do.  

This feeling reminds me of when I was attending a megachurch (McChurch - see my last post).  Seriously, going to church with thousands of other people you claim to, "go to church with" but have never said more than two words to in your lifetime.  It's like flying to New York City on a full Boeing 757 and saying that you went to New York with 3oo "friends."  

Now, I do think these virtual communities can be helpful, as I have reconnected, albeit ever so briefly, with some people I went to high school with (GO HORNETS!) and then others from college (GO SPARTANS!).  But friends?  They may have been at one time.  They may be again in the future.  But right now most are an acquaintance, at best.  

Then, there are those who really are friends, but I minimize myself to the point of texting, emailing and posting messages on their Facebook, instead of calling them and letting them know I miss them, or I want to pray for them, or just want to catch up... verbally, if not in person.  How shallow am I?  OMG!

Time, postage, snail mail, time...  Is that what it is?  We've got ourselves so wrapped up in the business of our lives that we no longer have time for friends.  I guess it shouldn't come as such a surprise.  We've already sacrificed time with our families (around the dinner table) due to "lack of time."  And then there's time with God... shoved aside because we "have no time."  Friends are the next logical step I guess.  

How ironic that I'm discussing this via a virtual community? 

Oh, wait my wife just texted me...  "hi babe. jst blgn.  b home soon. luv u."  

:-)

No comments: